Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Day 3 - Prague

-Despite the long sleepless flights and a late night cooking, my bladder was still on Bangkok time, waking me promptly at 6:30am to be emptied. So once I'd done that, I made myself a cup of coffee, emptied the dishwasher, and moved the previous day's pictures from my camera to my USB to free the memory card for the weekend. My hosts woke around 8:30,and after eating breakfast and chatting for a bit we all headed out to the city.

Staroměstské Square
Staroměstské Square



Staroměstské Square

The Clocktower



The memorial for the end of Communism! Well, one of several. 

-Irena and Pavel had only recently returned from a 5 month trip to India, and were looking forward to revisiting some of the historic and/or touristic places in Prague with me. They were wonderful guides, though they sometimes had differing opinions when it came to the best route to the next landmark. Pavel is a born-and-raised Prague-ian, (whereas Irena is originally from a town near the German border) so he frequently asked how I like the city, what I thought of Czech people, and how Prague compared to Vienna. I played along and made sure to vocally award "points" to Prague for anything I thought they did better or more efficiently than Vienna (prettier Opera house, easier public transport, more delicious food, etc.).
Entrance to our lunch destination - Pavel and Irena
My yummy lunch! Traditional Czech food - Meat(duck, I think) with gravy, whipped cream and cranberries, and bread dumplings
Looking down the Moldau River at the Charles Bridge
One of the silly lock bridges...you write your and your lover's name on a lock then lock it to the fence..your love "stays there" forever, "locked" to that place lol

-We visited Staroměstské Square first, saw the clock tower, watched a few street musicians, walked past the Hard Rock Cafe, had Svíčková na smetaně knedliky for late lunch, picked up my opera ticket for the following night, visited the Lennon Wall, walked back and forth across the Charles Bridge, ducked into what I shall refer to as the "Creepy Angel Cafe" for coffee and dessert, then back home for a light dinner and chatting before sleep.
Lennon Wall 
Lennon Wall
Lennon Wall
Climbed one of the towers on the bridge to get a better view (for a fee, of course)
:D
One of the statues on the bridge
The Creepy Angel of the "Creepy Angel Cafe"
One of David Cerny's sculptures

No comments: