Thursday, March 3, 2011

Please take a number..


If you've ever wondered what it's like to apply for a visa to China, read on.

Step 1: Research
I looked up the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok to see what the requirements and costs were.
Thais: 1 form, 1 photo, 1000B
All other passports: 1 form, 1 photo, 1100B
US CITIZENS: 2 forms, 2 photos, 4560B

Step 2: Locate China Embassy
I took a bus, a minivan, the sky train, and the subway to get to the China Embassy, only to get there 20 minutes too late to apply on Friday. So on Monday, I took a taxi and the subway to get to the embassy.

Step 3: Take a number
I had already filled out my forms and attached my photos, so I thought I was ahead of the game; all I had to do was drop off the forms and my passport and come back and pick it up when it was ready. Then I arrived at the embassy, went through security, and up the stairs, to find a room which I can only accurately compare to a California DMV office. Multiple windows and hundreds of people, all waiting patiently/grumpily/loudly/sleepily on chairs and the floor, gripping their number tickets in their sweaty little paws. I stood in shock for a moment, then took a number. My number: 436. The highest number currently being served: 254.

Step 4: Wait
I arrived at DMV-..er, I mean, the China embassy at about 10:15, and finally saw my number flashing at around 11:37. I handed my stuff through the window, waited a moment, and was handed a receipt telling me to come back on Thursday.

Step 5: Return 4 days later, and keep pushy Western tourists in their place
I returned to the embassy today to retrieve my passport, once again taking a bus, a minivan, the skytrain, and the subway to get there(and the subway and two buses to get home). I arrived, went through security, up the stairs, and promptly gawked..followed by a groan..at the seemingly endless line of people in front of the "collection" window. Lucky me, there were only a few people ahead of me at the cashier window, so I paid first(you have to), and then trudged all the way to the end of the line to collect my beloved passport. When I finally reached the front, as in, I was standing at the window and handing my receipt through, a foreigner(Western, but not American based on his accent) said to me, "Hey, can we do it together?" pointing at the window I was at. HA! Who does this guy think he is?? I looked at him and coolly replied, "No. You can wait in line just like EVERYBODY ELSE." The man complied. The Thai gentleman behind me smiled. :)

Honestly, the audacity of some people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure laughed about the last request. GOOD FOR YOU! Rosa