Monday, April 18, 2011

Songkran

Last week welcomed Songkran - Thai New Year and the annual water festival. And this is not your average festival; they close down major streets in Bangkok and MILLIONS of people flood the streets with water guns, hoses, water bottles, buckets, barrels, and paste. (Paste? Yes. White-ish paste mixed with water to make a sort of mud that they smear all over any face they can get their hands on.) For the first two days I stayed in, too afraid to brave the city, but on Friday, I, Tolu and Angela decided we should just get it over with and headed to Silom(I was the only one of us "prepared", in a swimsuit, tank and shorts). We exited our taxi around the corner from the main road and didn't make it 5 steps before getting my face smeared with white mud.



We quickly armed ourselves with water guns, and made our way around the corner. Little did we know what was in store for us.

It was like nothing I've ever seen before; sidewalk to sidewalk PACKED with people, mostly Thais, soaking wet, covered in paste, and having a great time.



Did I have a great time? Remember how I mentioned that it was mostly Thais out there? I think it goes without saying that I was an easy, and obvious, target. Every 30 feet I'd hear someone shout, "FARANG!!", and suddenly the crowd would part and I'd get hit from all sides. I tried to fight back at first, but eventually found that it was over sooner if I just stood there and took it, blinded and freezing from ice water and paste, until they'd emptied their weapons and allowed me to continue on down the street. And of course, in true Thai spirit and friendliness, they'd do it all with a big smile on their face, and some of them even shouted "sorry!" afterwards. Sorry, indeed.

Did I also mention that the fire department joins in on the fun? Apparently there are no fires during Songkran.

We finally escaped the madness by cutting through a side street, and hopped a tuk-tuk over to Lumphini for dinner on the street and a swim in the pool at Angela's place(to rinse some of the crud off).


A good time was had by all, but I think I may leave Thailand for Songkran next year.

No comments: