Thursday, October 27, 2011

Evacuation


My neighbor knocked on my door today and told me that I should probably leave my apt and go stay with a friend or go up north since they're predicting the flood waters will hit our apts tonight or tomorrow. Maybe. My apt's on the 4th floor, so I wasn't too worried about losing my apt, but I didn't want to get stuck there for who-knows-how-long either. So I packed up all my important documents, my laptop, 4 or 5 changes of clothes, some toiletries, and my pillow, and headed out to my friend Suzy's apt(the same place we'd had the Wii Shenanigans a month or so back) to stay with her for a bit. My pastor and his wife have also offered to take me in if I need it, which I may take them up on if I need to stay more than a week. I am so lucky and blessed to have such a wonderful church community here that looks after me so well.
In other news, as some of you may have read on my facebook status, due to the floods there are around 100 crocodiles loose in Ayutthaya, the old Thai capital! The authorities have offered $33/1000B bounty for every croc caught ALIVE. Time to go Crocodile Hunting!

As far as work/school is concerned, the gov't has ordered the schools closed until Nov 15th, but the Sister at our school doesn't seem to think we'll be able to start back by then, so who knows. So at the moment we're just sitting on paid holidays, and we'll have no Christmas break(though I'll be taking mine unpaid, as I can't get my flights refunded now), and we'll have no break in March; we'll be working straight through til summer school in April, with a week or two off in early May before fall semester starts again. It's depressing, but it is what it is, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Keep us in your prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Flooding sure is a bummer. I remember wading in over-the-knee high water on Sukhumwit, near the old Central Department Store; it was a challenge not to fall in a hole or lose a flip flop! Take pictures, but keep away from the crocs! :) Rosa