Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Miss me yet?

Today is Wednesday, my third full day in Nonthaburi. The political situation is getting worse in Bangkok, and all the subways and skytrains are shut down to make sure the protesters don't get to them and destroy them. We're pretty safe here, but there are military on the sidewalks and streets sometimes when we're walking to work. Speaking of work, I start teaching tomorrow. I have 5 classes, all P.5(fifth grade). I've had orientation for the last two days, and will have my operations orientation today. The kids are so adorable, and I can't wait to start. I plan to get their names down by the end of next week, but with them all wearing the same uniforms, all the girls wearing braids(with the same color ribbons), all the boys wearing short haircuts, and them all BEING THAI, we'll see how that goes. The older kids seem to be a little more distinguishable than the younger ones, so I'm going to do my best. My classes are approx. 30 students each...times 5..150 names. BAH! I can do it. I'm Ajarn Amelia. :)

Bauj is the only female from our sac state group that is at Sacred Heart Nonthaburi with me, but there are lots of males that also work here, one from sac state (Rani, who came early), and a handful of British that also live in our apt complex. There are different buildings, but it's all the same complex. A lot of the teachers live here, and it's like a community within the city. We have a 7/11 in our building(super convenient) where I can get minutes for my phone, milk, some snacks, and toilet paper.

Yesterday after work, Khun Pooh(she works for Ideal, but she's not a teacher) took me and Bauj to Carrefour, which is like Thai walmart, to go shopping for things for our apts. While in the parking garage though, there are cars that don't park in parking spots, and we were parking(in a spot) and all of a sudden this truck rolls into Pooh's car. Apparently two men were pushing it out of the way to get another car out, and “didn't see” Pooh's car. One of the guys was from the American Embassy, and tried to argue with me about whose fault it was. Poor guy, he should've known better than to try to start something with me. I was NOT having his attitude. Anyway, Pooh stayed with the car to get the insurance thing straightened out while Bauj and I shopped, and we bought Pooh an ice cream to cheer her up.

Finally got bedsheets for my mattress, but it didn't come with a top sheet, just a mattress sheet and four pillow cases, and my mattress is still hard as a rock. Sleeping on it is NOT comfy, and I need to buy a cushy foam topper thing soon. Also got some prickly fruit...that I don't remember the name for. Ask me later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Best of luck on finding everything you need for your apartment. Be sure to send me your address so I can send care packages or anything here you need but can't find there.

Ted said...

Probably gnok (rambutan)?