Saturday, May 22, 2010

“Um, I don't want to ruin your meal or anything, but you might not want to eat that. It's blood.”

There is a cafeteria at the school, as there are at most schools, and it is free for all students and faculty. However, “free” means you have no idea what you're getting, like the gelatinous chunk of boiled blood chillin' on top of my rice. Bauj and I went on Tuesday. I don't plan on going again, unless I'm flat broke. What I wouldn't give for a frozen burrito right about now...

Rani's birthday was on Thurday, but it was a surprise, so we all went to Carrefour and got supplies(he went along but had no idea). I bought a much-needed mattress topper for my bed, and a few other things. Got some “prickly fruit” as we've been calling it, and what appear to be pigs-in-a-blanket, with extra blanket. David and his wife Mui(pronounced moo-EE) hosted the party, and we had good food and enjoyed playing with David's little girl Danika, who's just over a year old, and walking like crazy.

Our curfew SUCKS, and we can't really go anywhere. It's kind of like being in prison, only we have to feed ourselves. The weather is nicer today, but we're still stuck inside, or at least can't leave our complex for very long. Can't find my phrasebooks either, which means I probably left them at home, so I can't practice my Thai while I'm twiddling my thumbs. I don't have internet in my apt yet, but hopefully they'll be able to get it soon once the political situation improves. When school resumes again on Monday, I'll be able to get internet at work. I'll try to update from there when I can. My mailing address is on my facebook if anyone wants it, but from what my parents tell me it's pretty expensive to send me anything very big. You're welcome to send all the letters you want though :).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some of this reminds me of our trip to Uganda!

Keep it up girl! You Rock!