Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thailand Meeting/Preparation

So we had our last Thailand meeting on Saturday, and a learned a few new things. By learned, I mean was told, and by new things I mean things-I-must-comply-with-that-I'm-not-a-fan-of. A few of these felt like very foreign concepts, and others I'm looking forward to.

-Virtually no tipping required
-When I get to the Bangkok airport, I follow the green line through customs
-My ATM card WILL work there :)
-I will have a Thai bank account, and my check will be direct deposited.

The difficult concepts:
-I must always have patience.
-I must avoid confrontation.
-I must not pat children on the head.
-I must not touch, move, motion, do anything other than walking with my feet.
-I must not get angry. Ever.
-I must not, under any circumstance, use Sarcasm.
-I must remember that "I am not important."

I also decided to check the baggage rules for United, and if my bag is over 50 pounds, the 'overweight' fee is $150.
SO.....I will be going home today and repacking/rearranging my bags. Ugh.

I have 5 days left, and as they say in Thai, "Chok dee!" (good luck)

1 comment:

Donna said...

A blog is a great idea - I can already see that it will be both informative and entertaining in true Amelia style. Good luck with all of those foreign concepts! We'll be checking in on you and praying that the adjustments go well as you settle in. Hugs from D & K