Monday, August 2, 2010

Hey there, Gimpy!


So as I mentioned in my previous post of my adventures in Pattaya, I injured myself while attempting to tame a motorbike. I didn't see a doctor right away, or even put a bandage on it right away, because it didn't look like more than a big scratch that didn't even bleed. Apparently, shame on me. Hindsight is 20/20...where's my foresight gone? My week went something like this:

Day 1 (Sunday, July 25)
My leg is cut, but not too badly (or so it appears). I cringe a little for the first few minutes, then the pain dulls and I move on with my day (and return the bike of course). It's a little stiff to walk with, but nothing a few Tylenol wouldn't mask.


Day 2 (Monday, July 26)
The cut looks like it's starting to heal, but my ankle is a bit swollen, so I elevate it for an hour or two before heading to the bus station to head home.


Day 3 (Tuesday, July 27) ...sorry don't have a picture for day 3
I sleep in, do laundry, try to stay off my foot while applying neosporin 3 times a day. The cut is still numb, and my ankle is still a little puffy, but nothing hurts, and I make sure I'm stepping gingerly.

Day 4 (Wednesday, July 28)
When I got up in the morning, nothing looked different, except a bit more redness around the cut. When I got home from work, massive swelling, much more redness and dark purple splotches on my feet. Great. Internal bleeding. Super.


Day 5 (Thursday, July 29)
Ankle's still pretty swollen, starting to worry me, but I'm not at my breaking point yet. I take a cab to Carrefour, do some grocery shopping, and stock up on some more first aid supplies. I got home, elevate my foot and apply a hot, damp cloth. Also had my first of two observations for my probation; passed with flying colors, of course, lol, but forgot to capitalize two days of the week on the board, and Sunny made sure to point that out to me. OhandIneedtospeakmoreslowly.


Day 6 (Friday, July 30)
I wrap my foot and ankle before heading to work, and this seems to help a little, though there is now more dark purple bruising on my foot, and my leg is hurting more. My cousin Cary, head of the Trauma Center at one of the hospitals in San Juan, Puerto Rico, comments on a picture telling me I need antibiotics. My aunt (her mother), sends concerns of infection. I receive an email from my parents strongly urging me to see a doctor (to put their worries at ease). I decide it is time to swallow my stubborn pride and comply with their requests. I call up Khun Pooh, who gives me the name of the closest hospital, and then tells the taxi driver how to get there. The hospital staff were very helpful, spoke English pretty well(and the doctor understood me quite well; I liked her) and took me into the emergency room to get my wound "officially" cleaned up (I'd cleaned it, but apparently that's not good enough). They smear this slimy brown liquid (possibly iodine) on it, then wrap it with a roll of white gauze. They send me on my way with a muscle relaxant, an anti-inflammatory, and something for muscle pain, along with an appt to come back on Saturday to get the dressing changed.
Total bill for the day: Taxi - 75B each way, Meds - 1068B



Day 7 (Saturday, July 31)
I wake up early enough to eat breakfast and start my meds before heading back to the hospital for my "sometime between 10 and 4" appt. I get there, hand my appt reminder slip to Information, and they point me down the hall to the Orthopedics Dept. I wait no more than two minutes before I am called to come in the back and have my wound re-dressed. It was a little painful when the doctor(which I thought was really great otherwise) was cleaning it with what appeared to be a pair of oversized tweezers, but other than that I just sat and watched them wrap it up again. He sends me off with a Rx of a big purple horse-pill of an antibiotic, and they make another appt for me to come back on Monday to get the dressing changed again.
Total bill for the day: Taxi - 75B each way, Meds - 1098B


Also saw Despicable Me with April and Pooh, and went to the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra's Rogers and Hammerstein concert.

Lunch at MK Restaurant




Day 8 (Sunday, August 1)
Couldn't believe it was August already. Had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe, shopped a bit, then went to church before heading home.

DIY fajitas. Mmmm..



Day 9 (Monday, August 2)
Went to work with a very sore left calf. The doctor told me that I should only walk on the ball of my foot and not to put pressure on the heel, and that does a number on your calf muscles, especially climbing up and down three flights of stairs to my first class (no elevator in that darn building). Left after work and headed to the hospital again to get the dressing changed, and this time the doctor said it should be almost healed in a few more days, but the swelling may take another week or two to go away. Lame.
Total bill for the day: Taxi - 75B each way, and no meds = no hospital bill.

Hopefully I will be able to scamper and frolic by next week, and all will be well again. :D

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, my medical insurance will reimburse up to 3000B per month, and at this point as long as they don't give me any more meds, I should be okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For those of you with inquiring minds, 3000B is about US $90. Rosa

Amelia said...

Yeah, it's really not a lot. And as of today, I've exceeded it. :(