Wednesday, February 13, 2013

¿Hablas español?

I made a friend last Sunday night on the bus home from church, a Spanish girl named Bel. Turns out she lives in my apt complex, so we talked the whole way home. She's been in Thailand for 5 months, and is teaching kindergarteners English in Pathum Thani. She invited me to join her last Friday night at the monthly Bangkok Spanish club meeting since it was going to be her first time going, and because "your Spanish is so good!"

Haha. UM. I don't remember saying that. BUT..I was sure I could survive one night of a little espanol, and since I know what it's like to be a female traveling/living alone in a foreign country with few friends, I thought this would be a good way to get to know her some more and provide us both with a fun Friday night out in good company. So I agreed.

Me and Bel


The "meeting" actually consisted of dinner at Zaks on Soi 11, followed by salsa dancing on the second floor of the restaurant which we were allowed to enjoy at a discount for our Club de Espanol membership.

Some of the others at our table

As it turns out, although not really to my surprise if I'm being completely honest, I *slightly* over-estimated my ability to hold my own in a room full of Spanish speakers. While living here I've grown accustomed to using Thai in all language-barrier situations, but trying to maintain a few of those key phrases on stand-by for when it came time to order food and speak to the restaurant staff while also trying to forget everything I learned about French pronunciation so's not to pronounce words like "de" and "tres" with the wrong accent and desperately pushing my brain to work overtime to dig up the basics of my "first" language's grammar rules and conjugations...GAH!...I thought my head was going to explode. Granted, some of them spoke English, but for the most part I was barely hanging on for dear life on the edge of complete Spanish inadequacy, while they all enjoyed their dinner and rapidly chattered away. Nevertheless, I managed to make a few new friends and eventually scamper upstairs to dance the night away (where body language was the only "language" I had to worry about).




Next time..I think I'll practice with my friend a bit before we go.  ;)

No comments: