Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Day 8 - Rain and Snow in Budapest

-Rain. At first it wasn't too heavy, but the wind didn't help. Kaitlyn had recommended the Alexandra bookstore/cafe, and since the Holocaust Museum didn't open until 9 I thought I'd go to the cafe first, get some coffee, read, and escape the rain. However, since I didn't follow her directions and took the metro instead of the bus, I spent an hour wandering around in the rain, only to find it still closed until 10. Seeing no other option, I trudged back to the metro to make my way to the museum. Got to the museum at about 9:20, and, surprise surprise, it doesn't open til 10 either. Cold, wet, frustrated, and in desperate need of coffee, I searched the surrounding blocks and finally found a cafe that was open. It was called Gomb Kávézó, which no doubt means "Button Coffeeshop" since that was the theme of the decor, and I had a delicious cappuccino and cheese croissant for 600 forint (3 euros).



-The Holocaust Museum was..well, depressing. As it should be, and as I expected it to be, but it's one thing to hear/read about it in History class, and another thing entirely to see pictures, videos, and first-hand accounts of the hell the few survivors lived through. I think the hardest part to swallow is that such blatant disregard for human life happened a mere 70 years ago.
Outside the Holocaust Museum
The synagogue at the end of the Holocaust Museum (and the only place pictures are allowed) 
Glass "chairs" - a memorial for many of the victims of the Holocaust

The saddest ones to see, of course, were those of children murdered in Auschwitz


I couldn't read the little card thing, but I assume this to be a small tribute to the joy and relief of the end of the Holocaust
-It was lightly snowing when I exited the museum, so I hurried back to the metro to return to the bookstore. I had somehow lost my map in the rain, but although I can't say I've appreciated every "gift" I've received from Him, I thank God every day (and twice a day when I travel) for giving me an excellent sense of direction (and a great photographic memory); found my way back with no trouble this time, and bought a new map as soon as I entered. The cafe is on the third floor, and it has a beautiful grand ceiling like you'd expect to find in a ballroom or something.
Inside and ceiling of the cafe
-Indulged in two cappuccinos before determining that if I hurried I could visit one more monument before meeting up with Kaitlyn. When I got outside it was snowing full force, but I wasn't going to let that deter me, so I caught bus 105 and got off at Hősök...only the bus stop for Hősök isn't in the same place as the metro stop for Hősök, so I was once again consulting my map trying to figure out the best way to where I did want to go; turns out the answer was just to get back on 105, but in the opposite direction, and get off in 2 stops. Easy peasy.
A bit cold in the snow, but enjoying my walk!



Hősök Square
So glad to get back on the metro and out of the snow for a bit
-Met Kaitlyn at the Déli metro stop, then stopped at the small supermarket around the corner to pick up supplies for a warm delicious dinner at home.

Snow!
The walk to her building
The view from her front door!
Just cookin' dinner...in my gas mask lol
Got it at the Hospital in the Rock..for $5. Couldn't resist. And it works, too. I could breathe fine, but couldn't smell a thing. 

No comments: