Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Songkran in Sattahip (Sah-tah-heep)

Okay I'm a little late on this, but two weeks ago we had a 5 day weekend for Songkran, Thai New Year and the accompanying annual water festival. I hadn't made any plans (trying to be responsible and save money for home, blah blah blah), but last minute my Thai coworker Sue invited me to join her and her family for the weekend at her sister-in-law's house in Sattahip, outside of Chonburi. She insisted she would "take care of me," so I couldn't say no, and off we went. We set out at 6:30am Friday morning, and after stopping for breakfast made the 3 hour drive into the country. Nobody in her family spoke more than 10 words of English, but I did my best with what little Thai I had and we all had a great time anyway.
Precious little Ice, she was so adorable!
Fun at the beach!
With Sue's daughter Film (left) and niece Ink

The weather couldn't seem to make up its mind, but only rained a little bit before being nothing more than a mess of ugly clouds
Sue and Film
Sue, Me, Ink, and Film
Film teaching me how to write the day of the week in Thai
Heading to the temple for their prayer time

At a winery - Focus (Sue's son), Film, me, Ink, Ink's mom, and Sue




Huge gold Buddha image on the mountain
Skewering pork for dinner! 
Ink
Dinner :)
Karaoke! :D


Picking up the chicken for dinner
We ate the entire tub. Had to - it was going to melt, haha
Went to the temple Sunday night for the festival, and there was Thai dancing..
..lots of people..
..dance party..
..shoot the stuffed animal, take it home..
..two minutes to pick up as much candy as you can with the remote-controlled truck..
..and, just in case you wanted to buy a cabinet, there was a furniture "shop" as well. lol
Got some fun balloons for the girls
Hanging out at father-in-law's house Monday afternoon
The kids wasted no time getting busy with their water pistols
Sue singing some (loud) karaoke
Songkran tradition - little "flowers" fashioned from ribbons then 1, 2, or 5 baht coins are put inside and thrown for the kids, somewhat like a pinata
Focus having his guitar lesson
Film, entranced with the ONE game on my phone haha
Prayer time
Gathering the blessing from the elders
They poor the water over the elder's hands, then receive their blessing
Trying to hit the empty coffee bottle with the slingshot
Film trying out the ukulele




No comments: