Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Day in Toulouse

Friday of that week I took the train to Toulouse to visit my friend Julien, the French/Cambodian I'd met in Bangkok when he was on a visa run from Malaysia last year.








He showed me all over the city, we explored a few big churches, and then LUNCH! I kid you not, this salad was TO. DIE. FOR. That would be apples and goat cheese on my salad. AMAZING.

Entree? Duck Hearts. That's right. Duck hearts. On a skewer. With a sweet onion jam, a side of baked cauliflower and seasoned potatoes. Mmm.


For dessert? Creme Brulee, of course.

After lunch we headed over to visit two of Julien's friends, Dave and Thommy, and after a cup of coffee, took to the road. They have two motorcycles, but one wasn't working, so Dave and I hopped on the other one while Thommy and Julien took the car.

We drove all over the mountainside, up to the top to overlook the city, and then back into town to have ice cream and milkshakes. Dave offered to take me back to Narbonne on the bike, and I couldn't turn down a free ride like that, so off we went. It ended up being a freezing cold ride, and when we made a pit stop on the way for a bathroom break at a truck stop along the highway, we laughed about how ridiculous an idea it had been. Oh well, it was still an experience, and it's not every day I get to ride on real motorcycles like that.

No comments: