Sunday, June 27, 2010

As payday approaches..

I apologize, faithful followers, for my lack of posting in the last week. I now FINALLY have internet in my apt, as of two days ago, and will now be able to upload my blogs from the comfort and convenience of my room, as opposed to the internet cafe or work. One more unit until midterms, and I'm not looking forward to grading them.
Last weekend Brenda and I went to a salsa show put on by Salsa Hacha. The show was very well choreographed, and some of the dancers were interesting to watch. Dr Salsa invited me as his VIP guest, so I got a free ticket in. Apparently he thought that meant we were on a date, and made the mistake of attempting to kiss me on the balcony. He seemed confused at my rejection, despite being twice my age and clearly not hearing a word of my earlier cautionary schpeel about his forwardness potentially getting him into trouble with the wrong person. Needless to say, he won't be getting a dance with me again anytime soon.
This weekend, however, was much better. Brenda unfortunately wasn't able to go out Friday night because of a hurt muscle from yoga(I told her yoga was bad for her health haha), so I got in touch with April to see if she had plans and wanted to do something. We met up at the MRT station, then took it to Sukhumvit Rd, Soi 15, where we salsa danced for about an hour or two, then left and hitched a motorcycle ride to Soi 33(which April confused with Soi 11 somehow, lol, and we headed back after a bit of wandering through what was clearly a street aimed at luring MEN, not just any tourist). But before heading to the correct Soi, we ran into Travis, another teacher at Convent, where April works. He and his brotha from anotha motha(don't remember his name) joined us for a drink at a little bar with a live band and pool tables, which we had considered using, but instead spent our time raising our glasses to every cheers the boys decided needed saying. After parting with them, we hopped a motorbike back to Soi 11, and found a little British pub called The Pickled Liver tucked back on a quiet little side street. I ordered my Mai Tai, April ordered her beer, and we split a delicious plate of nachos(made with doritos, haha, but it tasted really good). On our way out, I noticed a guy across the room, who happened to make eye contact with me. Four times before I got out the door. If there's anything I'm good at, it's eye-flirting, and about 20 yards out the door, I stopped and mentioned it to April. After some hasty deliberation, we decided to go back in, and see if I couldn't get more than a few glances from this mystery person. We each ordered another drink, and sat down at a table where we both had an excellent view of both the tvs and him. We couldn't quite hear what language they were speaking, so we didn't want to go sit with them and then feel awkward. After a while of stewing over what to do, April caught one of them speaking English, and suggested I go over and talk to him. Still seemed awkward, since they were watching the game and all, so I did something I've never done before. I borrowed a pen from April, wrote my name and number on the back of a receipt, and as we left I stuffed the folded paper into his shirt pocket as I walked by without even saying a word. He started to ask me something, but I couldn't stop or I wouldn't ruined the whole thing. I continued out the door, and once I was safely out and a few yards away, I breathed a sigh of relief that it was over and waited for April to catch up.

About an hour later, a Mister Matthew Lavender calls me up to introduce himself, and to apologize for not getting up to talk to me first. :D Ah, the power of impulsive actions.


Cheese from Harry and Melissa's trip to...somewhere.

My mugshot, also known as my work visa picture.

Dress - 150B
Necklace - 200B



1 comment:

Juan-Diego said...

Hi. found this through a post of yours on The World Race website. I love travelling too. I see you're in Thailand teaching English. That sounds fun. What program are you going through? can you point me to some resources? Thanks--hope you enjoy your time there.

juandgar@gmail.com